Tuesday 1 May 2018

The bookshop, death in Ramsgate Harbour, local history, Peppa The Pig and the media business.

The sad story of the yachtsmen killed using the harbour during a yellow weather alert is still doing the rounds. There is a lot of “should have known” bettering from the after the event crowd. This seems to have moved from social media to the real world where people are less inclined to tell people how distasteful they find it.

I was first up this morning and having made tea and taken it back to bed it was the article about China banning Peppa Pig that most interested me and I read aloud to my wife http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-43953432 I have to admit to not really understanding exactly what the article was about.

Here in the bookshop I have a number of Peppa Pig customers and don’t rate them as being particularly subversive. The most sensible of the parents bring their children to the bookshop for each books, ask me to close the door onto the street and then let the potential Peppa customers out of their pushchairs so they can decide which book they want to buy. 

The whole business of getting children to want to read is a complex one and not one that works well in the "don't do what I do do what I tell you" environment.

I did get out for a bit today and took some photos, this is the link to the content of my camera card 

Old Photos next Ramsgate today







 Note the Granville before the height of the tower was reduced in 1900


This is the link to the books we put out today bookshop wise

I am having issues with virtual sound files to the extent that I went out and bought a walkman today. As I am typing this I have to admit that I am listening to the first cd of The Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks 1964-1971” through sound cancelling headphones.

This works anywhere, doesn't drain my phone battery or data runs on 2 AA batteries altogether difficult to explain, but essentially does what it says on the box.

I usually get tinnitus listening to music, however with the right tec and the right music I seem to have found a way of avoiding this.

The only headphones that make a significant difference for me have been the Bose QC25 which are expensive. I get the best results with either music I know very well or one person talking i.e. radio or talking book.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.