Tuesday 15 August 2017

Ramsgate and the Napoleonic Wars + out and about pictures in Ramsgate today.

I know this picture of Ramsgate was drawn during the Napoleonic Wars as it is the one in the 1809 guide to Thanet, for those of you who know about my stealth advertising plan and still want to go further up this particular tree, here is the link that leads to the inevitable buy it now button.

Next some of  the Ramsgate pages from the guide.








Now at this time – oh sorry the wars – Waterloo, Trafalgar type of kidney spanned the period from 1800 to 1815, Ramsgate was supposed to be a military embarkation town. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the area where Wellington Crescent was eventually built in from around 1820 and up on the westcliff where about 60 years later Vincent Van Gogh would eventually sketch the Churchill Tavern; was covered with tents.

I am also pretty sure that the Ramsgate Clifftop buildings that date for this period were built to rent out to officers, “can’t go anywhere without my, horses, servants, don’t you know”

Reading the guide I can only assume that this military centred, marry off your daughters social whirl was what they meant by the season.

However no mention of the war in the guide.    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.