Sunday 13 August 2017

JWM Turner, Canterbury and the ghastly gothic revival and some Margate panoramic views from around 1870

I suppose that the peak of the gothic revival, perhaps inspired by the earlier and more tasteful, is that the tight word? Dame Edna? Was around 1870.

I’m feeling a bit on the lazy side tonight so the three panoramas of Margate that I bought in Canterbury today, I’m dating on the hazard guess front as around 1870.



I suppose if you are being picky one is Westgate.

As I have mentioned before here, there are very few paintings of the inside of Canterbury Cathedral, Turner did do a watercolour of the crypt and one looking out of the gate   
here it is. 

At some time around 1870 someone knocked down the the buildings built in - medieval times, middle ages, dark ages - don't tell anyone, all three are the different ways of saying the same thing.
Where was I? Yes the castellated thing with Georgian and Gothic overtones, in ghastly good taste.
 here is the view today
are they knocking it down or will they replace it with mock dark ages?
 Back when I were a lad, you could sit outside McDonald's - well you could have done if it was there - and paint the cathedral, nowadays there are all these mock dark ages buildings, in the way

Don't despair you can paint it from upstairs in Chocolate Cafe, but the reflections in the windows of the building in front of it are problematic, which is where I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Oh nearly forgot the books that went out in my bookshop
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.