Saturday 4 March 2017

Some old photos of Ramsgate Harbour, a bit of our early history and watercolour painting in Canterbury Cathedral, for a wet Sunday.

So first the old photos of Ramsgate Harbour, the first four are of the Moses Shipyard area.







Next some old documents from one of the more demanding local history books that I publish, this book is a transcript of old local documents and is one of my worst selling local books, here is the link if you want to buy it online http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/the_manor_of_minster_and_other_estates.htm although I think reading the chunk I have put here or coming into my bookshop and having a browse of it should be enough for most people.





















This documentation is typical of the raw material that historians work with when trying to produce local history books about the period before about 1720.

I spent today in Canterbury mainly sketching and I did some more to my sketch inside Canterbury Cathedral


this is done from a stone seat under Bell Harry Tower, the view from there is pretty much impossible to photograph, I suppose you could use a fisheye lens and just about fit the area in, but going to that wide an angle would distort the straight lines, bent pillars and so on.


I used my phone to take a couple of panorama shots which illustrate why you can’t photograph it anyone who wants to expand them here is the link to the full sized images https://goo.gl/photos/EX2pf31Z9V1F5AWU6  zoomable downloadable if you fiddle about.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.