Friday 10 March 2017

Boys and girls and their toys in books and Thanet history related to sheds.

One of the most famous carpentry books is Peter Nicholson’s “
Practical Carpentry, Joinery and Cabinet-Making; Being a New and Complete System of Lines for the Use of Workmen…” you can buy modern reprints of this book from about £10 and scruffy pre 1900 copies from around £40 with anything all there and in one piece starting from around £80.


Anyway I bought a copy of this book, a fairly early edition from 1835, so why is it published anonymously, is it possible he was ashamed about spending sop much time in his shed?   We have another, later 1847 copy of the same book which has his name on the title page.


Here in the bookshop we have a large section of books which could be loosely described as armchair shed reading, people sidle and buy books to read when their partners insist the come into the house.

Shed books are quite a big thing in the bookshop


On the Thanet shed front 

 This is Pugin's shed which unfortunately collapsed and fell into the sea but used to be at the bottom of The Grange's garden
 Some types of boat can be loosely thought of a portable sheds with a large focus on the engine room
 Advanced shed work at Manson
 JWM Turner Pained this shed in Margate
Spending too much time in the shed results in...

Here are the books that went out today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/the-carpenters-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.