Sunday 5 February 2017

Just because you’re paranoid, it doesn’t mean they’re not watching you – painting in Canterbury and the Hodgkins’s Thanet holiday in the 1920s

The photos are from a small holiday album it says on the front SNAPS: E. HODGKINS 1928 1929 the first section is Ramsgate Broadstairs and Canterbury in 1928.






















The pictures are Box Brownie contact prints, by this I mean that no photographic enlarger was used, once the roll of film was developed, it was chopped up put directly on top of the photographic paper, light was allowed to pass through the film on to the paper for a given period of time which was then developed, looking at them I would say this was done at home, probably in a blacked out kitchen or bathroom.

A few things of note the solid tyred charabanc had a top speed of 12 mph with friction shock absorbers it must have been an interesting ride.

The two pictures of the person in a deckchair show the eastern undercliff bathing station, later the marina swimming pool was built there, now a car park.


Like the Hodgkins did I went to Canterbury, today and I started painting in the nave of the cathedral, there was a service going on in the choir, something that usually means the cathedral is fairly tourist free. Anyway after a bit I suddenly became aware of about a hundred people behind me. As you can see I muffed up the picture, so I went of to Chocolate Café and sketched through the steamy windows.



I thought a reasonable sketch of La Trappiste.

The larger book collections are coming in bookshop wise at the moment, we are processing a bus and tram book collection, a cinema book collection and a railway book collection, here is the link to the ones that got to the shelves on Saturday http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/invader-in-bookshop.html

Also several new local books published which I will try read and to post about during the next few days, it rather depends on how busy the bookshop is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.