Tuesday 18 October 2016

Ramsgate advertisements for 1863

Following of from my post yesterday which was the Ramsgate pages from my 1863 railway guide next come the Ramsgate advertisements as promised.

While modern advertising is intrusive in 1863 the adverts were all discreetly placed at the back of the guide, however reading them suggests a world very different from that of 2016. 

I don’t just mean the beer at 5p a gallon, the Chatham House “Ramsgate College School” advertisement is an education in itself. A warm bath at least once a week, 10 guineas if you don’t want them home for the holidays or more if you are spending a few years expanding the British Empire.

At around 15 or 16 most pupils would have gone on to work some to university, I think the maximum age to get a university scholarship would have been about 18. if you had the money then I think entrance to university was based almost entirely on an interview.
   
I suppose there must be a great many university professors today who would like to choose their undergraduates that way. 








In the spirit of the guide here is my own advertising, i.e. the books that went out for sale in my bookshop in Ramsgate today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/nigel-farage-in-bookshop.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.