Monday 17 October 2016

Journeying to Ramsgate on the branch line from Minster in 1863

Skimming through my 1863 travel guide for the SOUTH-EASTERN and the NORTH AND MID-KENT railways, a book that I am considering producing a cheap reprint of, I was struck by the branch line from Minster business.

This is the Ordnance Survey one inch to the mile map for around 1870 so shows the competing London and Chatham Railway which opened around 1863 around the time the guide was produced, so probably wasn’t open when the guide was written.As you see by 1870 Deal had become the branch line.

Anyway here are the Ramsgate pages from the guide






Perhaps I will do the Ramsgate adverts next or perhaps journey on to Margate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.