Tuesday 9 August 2016

Mostly Margate photos dated either 1899 1900 1901 1902 or 1903 there are a few other Thanet ones and Broadstairs before and after the war.

 This is the rest of the album that I published the other day, which I managed to date to between 1899 and 1903 based on the Ramsgate pictures in the album at http://thanetonline.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/ramsgate-pictures-all-from-one.html

The Ramsgate ones show the tower of the Granville lowered so after 1899 but the pavilion not year built so before 1903, I wonder if anyone who knows what was built when in Margate can narrow it down a bit more.

My bookshop is very busy at the moment you can see the books that went out today here http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/broadstairs-1949-in-bookshop.html

My new Broadstairs publication the Broadstairs guide for 1949 – buy in now here http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/broadstairs-1949-in-bookshop.html or come into the bookshop, but not on Thursdays, has a peculiar social history facet.

This is because I also publish the same but different guide for 1937, see http://michaelsbookshop.com/catalogue/sunny_broadstairs.htm so wee have the same but different guides with The Second World War.

So not a major historical document, but the subtle differences between the two guides somehow managed to express effects of the war that I couldn’t put into words, lots of small social changes, worth look if you get the chance.

The way things are going I will have to take on an A level student for an hour or so after school, so if you are going to start A levels next term and are interested in bookselling and publishing you can always drop me an email michaelchild@aol.com

Pictures will expand if clicked on, but the main point of them is that we know the date they were taken.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.